Trail Beta for the John Muir Trail
The JMT is roughly 207.5 miles long, from Happy Isle to Mt. Whitney. But you still have to get to Whitney Portal to get off the trail so it is actually 213.5 miles. The trail follows lush meadows and high alpine tundra through the Sierra Nevada of California. (The mileage is from “The John Muir Trail” by Don and Roberta Lowe). I am planning this trip for 2006 and probably will not get to do it until 2007. This gives me plenty of time for planning. Also, the maps are organized from South to North, this is because that is the way I am section hiking the PCT.
Excellent information and books about the JMT can be found at:
- Backpack45.com, Home of Shepherd Canyon Books, JMT Link
- Guide to the John Muir Trail
- John Muir Trail: The Essential Guide to Hiking America’s Most Famous Trail (John Muir Trail)
- The John Muir Trail
- Starr’s Guide to the John Muir Trail and the High Sierra Region
- Trout Fishing the John Muir Trail
JMT Topo Map Series
This series of free JMT Topo maps has UTM coordinates and grids and can be viewed on line, printed or the entire series downloaded.
Other Links of Interest:
- JMT Overview from the Fresno Bee Newspaper
- JMT Forum – Open forum for discussion of the John Muir Trail
- JMT Crib Sheet – from the Yahoo JMT Forum
- JMT Profile – Nice elevation profile by Brian O’Kelly from the K Aston website.
- Books by John Muir the author can be found here.
- OTT Resources LInks Page – Find other links that will be of use here
- OTT Weather Forcast Page – Click on Central Califronia link